Thursday, June 7, 2007

eso mucho calor

I'm leaving Palenque today for Mérida. It sucks that the only bus that takes us there leaves at 9pm tonight, so we've got about 6 hours to kill in this miserable heat. We found a little coffeeshop with an internet cafe here in town and I think I'm stuck to my chair. it's over 100 degrees here, and it feels more humid than Louisville ever gets (quite a feat, ask anyone). I put on a fresh shirt this morning, and I immediately soaked right through it. My hair is reasonably clean but a bit clumpy since I haven't shampooed it since I left the states. We should have stayed another week in San Cristobal just because it was at least 20 degrees cooler. The original plan was to try and hitch out of here, but with the sun beating down so hard, and the main highway over 200k away, we opted to take the night bus so we didn't have to spend any money on a place to stay for the night, plus that was pretty much our only option.



My mood seems to shift quite a bit here since it's hard to come up with any sort of concrete plans. Jadon and I both said that we feel pretty much like outsiders since we don't really want to feel like typical tourists, but we don't really know anyone here, and we can't use our typical "punk roots" to get oriented in a place. The language barrier is definitely there too, even though I feel a bit more comfortable after this much time here.


Anyone have any real plans for the fall? want to go teach abroad somewhere? I'm cool after October, I'll probably work until then once I get back from Canada.

No comments: