Monday, June 11, 2007

cenotes

Jadon and I paid the 12 pesos to catch a bus to this little town called Cuzuma. Once you stop off the bus, in fact even before we stepped off the bus, a group of teenage mexican "guey's" were all clamoring for our attention, trying to get us to get in their bicycle rickshaw. This is all standard actually. They probably get this all day every day during this season. Their town has a lot of underground sinkholes that attract many tourists, locals, and foreigners alike. The sinkholes, or cenotes are plentiful here in the Yucatán. I felt silly taking a bicycle rickshaw, but aside from it being human powered, it's the same as a taxi I guess. Jadon and I paid the guy collectively about $2.40 for him to take us to the site, then, once we were there, a bunch of people with these horse drawn carriages that ran on tracks wanted to charge us about $15 (US) to take a 2 kilometer trip around to the cenotes in the area. We opted to walk, figuring it wouldn't be too long. Honestly it wasn't, but the deal isn't terrible. We only made it to the first cenote of the three because, as we found out, the trip includes the horse and buggy trip to three cenotes spread over 10k. Whatever. once we finally got there, it ruled. We ended up being the only gringos that were there the whole time. People there were quite friendly as well, most everyone wanted to talk with us about where we came from, what we thought of mexico, and to comment on Kentucky Fried Chicken. Without fail, each time I mention Kentucky, where I'm from, I get a whole ration of oooohh "el pollo loco" and people start flapping their wings. I normally just make fun of them back and start flapping my wings at them and mocking them. Mostly it just ends up being pretty silly between us. But for sure, the joke gets old.


Without a doubt, the cenotes were wonderful. It was nice to swim for one thing, but it felt like we were in a big quarry with stalactites, bats, birds, and catfish. The water was a very clear blue and quite deep, but not cold in the slightest. Another main highlight of my trip.


Next up, I'm not sure. I've seen Chichen Itza, so I have no business to go there again, so potentially we'll try and make it to an animal preserve or Tulum. We've got just over a week left, so we've got to make the best of it. Any bright ideas?

No comments: