Wednesday, June 6, 2007

desmadre total

Today I went to check out the ruins of Palenque. Since we're staying right down the street, it was basically the first thing we did this morning. Easily one of the coolest things I've seen in my life. The Mayans were way less bloody than the Aztecs, and I think that's evident in the ornate reliefs and pleasant architecture. It's a strange phenomenon to me that neolithic peoples from across the world evolved to create pyramids totally independent from one another.

The nature around the area is also incredible - I even saw a family of wild howler monkeys up in the trees today and a bunch of lizards, including what we think was the jesus lizard, not the band, but that lizard that walks really fast on its hind legs and can kind of skip around on the surface of water. Definitely cool. I'm a little sunburned. The heat really got to Jadon and I. I made the effort to climb all the pyramids and ruins, but after awhile Jadon couldn't keep up with it, the heat really hit him hard. We crashed out for about an hour, then wanted to go to a little waterfall. We took a taxi there, then got harassed by the cops almost as soon as we got there. The same cop let us through the gate. Apparently we got there too late in the day and we could just come back tomorrow, but he obviously just wanted to shake us down and look us over. once he found that we didn't have any drugs or anything, it just became a joke almost and we were let go. bah, cops are cops whereever you are right...

No comments: