Wednesday, May 23, 2007

la casa de la muerte

I fly out for Mexico City in two hours. I barely know a word of Spanish, and have never had a formal lesson. Neither has my traveling partner Jadon. I'm afraid to look like a tourist, but fuck it, I'm going to enjoy myself. I've got $500 to make it there and back and stay alive for 6 weeks. The plan is to take in a bunch of ruins, sleep on the beach, avoid getting fucked with, and soak in a pretty solid adventure. After Mexico City, I'll be headed east towards the Yucatan and all the ruins along the way. The goal is to find a way to hitch a boat ride back across to the US and end up along the Gulf Coast somewhere and find our way back to our respective cities. I've got a frame pack, some clothes, a couple of books, a chessboard, my documents, and a sleeping bag. sink or swim, right?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

In the lab, we had been talking about foreign languages and vacations out of the USA. I shared this first blog with some of the students. They were very impressed that you planned to stay 5-6 weeks on $500 budget.
I told them you were very frugal and resourceful.
Adios! Buena suerte.