Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Tango til they're sore






I did this last week. Except I got a little lost along the way towards the end. The maps I had with me were kinda shitty -- plus I had a flat along the way, so darkness had a factor in how late it took me to arrive at the Hostel.


I've definitely felt welcome here in Canada. I've found my people -- of sorts. I'd never be inherently Canadian, but I've created a root here -- maybe someday an anchor.


This weekend, I'm going camping with a few close friends. We're only going about 40 minutes out of town, but it's a decent park with a river and a lake. I may buy a second tent -- for extra people this weekend, plus I'll have a better backpacking tent if I do it that way. I've already acquired the world's most awesomest hammock.


My Spanish is passable, I went to a taqueria this afternoon and had a decent chat, partly because I was looking for pulque or bohemia, but mostly they wanted to know what an American was doing up there. I told them "the same thing as you are" en espanol. Jana lives here in the Portuguese neighborhood of Toronto, so it's nice to be surrounded by decent people speaking their native tongue all day long. I should give it a shot if I get around to it. I wonder if I could get a good day's lesson in before I leave.

1 comment:

La Ășltima de turista said...

It is so nice to have people...especially people all over the world!
You sound wonderfully happy.
I love you, Mom